Head of Development – CMC Markets – May 2007 – August 2011
I worked in Digitallook, a part of the CMC Markets group. Digitallook is a provider of website portals for clients including HSBC, Barclays, Santander, Charles Stanley and the BBC. During my final year at CMC, having climbed the career ladder from a Senior developer to Head of Development, I was responsible for the following:
- Maintainance and enhancements to large legacy codebase, running on over 30 webservers and serving over 5M page impressions per month.
- Maintainance of realtime pricing systems, handling millions of messages a day from exchanges across the world.
- Managing 10 developers(at peak), giving regular reviews and introducing some Agile methodology.
- Client Liason – regular meetings with clients such as Barclays and Santander to discuss ongoing requirements and enhancements to our platform.
- Incident management and reporting – giving clear, concise and regular updates and reports to our clients when systems were having issues.
- Code quality and release management – making sure that all code released has been tested sufficiently and that releases are done in a way that will not affect clients. This included personally diffing the code before releases.
- Providing end-of-line support – getting my hands ‘dirty’ where necessary and suggesting ways in which to solve the more difficult problems we came up against.
- Systems design and architecture – ensuring any new solution will not break existing architecture and is efficient. When our data centres moved, ensuring that we would have sufficient hardware to re-implement our existing service.
Below are some screenshots of some of the solutions that I had active participation in:
BBC Charting and data service
Charting provided using Varnish caching technology, XML feeds provided for the rest of the data on these pages(BBC Market data).
Website for private investors with a vast array of analytical tools(Digitallook.com).